RE: messages override minibuffer input

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: messages override minibuffer input
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 08:08:05 -0700

>     [a line in the minibuffer] will wrap anyway if it is too long for
>     the window size.
>
> Do you mean wrap with fill at the fill column (by convention 70
> characters) or do you mean wrap without filling, which, on 80 column
> wide frames, may break a word between the 80 and 81 columns so the
> rest of the line can move down?

I meant what I see, which is the latter. Isn't that what you see?

Automatic filling would be inappropriate, as the echo area can contain stuff
that is not just natural-language words, and it is impossible to know where
to insert newlines appropriately. It might be inappropriate, for instance,
to insert a newline in the middle of a string echoed as part of a message -
e.g. `String: "foo bar"'.