Re: messages override minibuffer input

From: Davis Herring
Subject: Re: messages override minibuffer input
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 10:16:12 -0700 (PDT)

>     You seem to say it has an important role to play, but I never found it
>     useful, and I always found it odd that autoloading displays such
>     messages while requiring a package doesn't.  What am I missing?
>
> I wasn't aware of that oddity, but now that you mention it,
> I don't see a need for them to be different.
> So we can turn off the messages for autoloading.

Really?  `require' happens during the loading of some other package, so
its delay is absorbed in the overall pause.  But autoloading an
arbitrarily complicated package (hi Alan! :) during a stream of user input
can look like a hang.  My suggestion is that all "Loading foo..." messages
should be displayed unconditionally, but then when "Loading foo...done"
would be displayed:
* if the minibuffer is in use, clear the echo area to restore it, else
* if the echo area previously had some non-optional message in it, restore
that message, else
* display it normally.

WDOT?

Davis