Re: Toolbar mode on/off

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Toolbar mode on/off
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 07:46:17 +0200

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

>> at the current point of time, enabling the toolbar and disabling it
>> again is not a noop, but rather causes shrinking.
>
> Shrinking of what? The frame? The font?

The frame.

> In Emacs 22.1, I don't see shrinking of anything. The number of
> lines displayed is reduced or increased - that's the only change I
> see.

If you say
M-x tool-bar-mode RET

4 times in a row, you end up with the same size frame as before?
Guess you are lucky then.

>> That's ugly.  On the other side, Emacs should not increase its
>> frame size beyond the given initial frame size.
>>
>> So I think that Emacs should record its startup frame size in _pixels_
>> (or just record whether it started its geometry calculation with the
>> toolbar on or off).  Turning the toolbar on and off should then cause
>> the text size to have the largest size fitting inside of the original
>> startup frame size.
>>
>> Of course, it would be nicer (and simpler altogether) if Emacs did not
>> change its frame pixel size at all when turning toolbar (or menubar or
>> whatever) on and off.
>
> Just to be sure I understand. Are you saying that turning the
> tool-bar on or off should have the (side-)effect of changing the
> font size?

Nonsense.

> If so, my answer would be no, it should not. Better to change the
> frame size (if necessary) than the font size, IMO. But I don't see
> either one change in Emacs 22.1 (and that's good).

You don't see the frame size change at all?  Then you must have a
particularly lucky relation between toolbar height and font size, or
your toolkit behaves different from mine (GTK+).