Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 20:37:11 +0100

On 25 Sep 2007, at 19:38, Drew Adams wrote:

The doc everywhere uses `mouse-1'
etc.,

That is indeed a problem! It should be consistent across the board.

and that nomenclature is clear. There is absolutely nothing to be
gained by changing to `left' etc.

No, it is not clear. A typical user has two mouse buttons. It is absolutely not obvious that the right mouse button is mapped to mouse-3.

On the contrary: `mouse-1' is just an identifier; it signifies nothing about physical button location. `Left' implies a spatial relation that might not
be correct.

It will be correct unless the user has remapped it, in which case they'd know. Actually, I think "click" and "right click"/"secondary click" would be good, too, because mouse-1 is usually the default, no matter whether the user is a leftie. (Remember that on Macs, there is no right mouse button - control-click is used instead!)

If the user customizes this in Emacs, I presume we don't display `mouse-n', but the actual binding, right? Or is that tooltip hardcoded?

But while we are debating whether to call it mouse-1 and -3, I'd like to point out that a good UI will normally do what is most obvious and what the user expects. That means that the right mouse button should bring up a context menu and not delete something - this is the standard on most systems and platforms, I believe.

At least on the Mac and on Windows, the middle mouse-button is mapped centrally to something else. I have it mapped to a double-click.

Applications interpret a left click to set the text cursor, mark text (dragging), activate/toggle buttons and follow links. The secondary mouse button always brings up a context menu - I can't think of a common application that doesn't do that (except Emacs). Double-clicks open or start things, usually in a new frame or window. I don't know what it means in the context of Emacs. One thing it translates to is showing *Messages* on double-click in the echo area, not on a simple mouse-1 (which can happen by chance occasionally).

Doing something such as closing a window requires clicking on an explicit closer button. The idea to have that in the mode-line was, thus, a good one, even though it'll close the window above and not below (the button that is displayed can make that clear graphically).