S-SPC for non-editing modes (was: TAB for non-editing modes)

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: S-SPC for non-editing modes (was: TAB for non-editing modes)
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 23:29:48 +0300

>> For info, help, man, woman TAB does something like "goto the next link".
>>
>> TAB does not do anything for pcvs, dired, log-view and maybe
>> others. It would be nice if TAB would do something for these modes
>> too.  A navigational semantic like info/help/man do seems that would be
>> intuitive (it should certainly be better than the current "error
>> because the buffer is read-only" behavior).
>> (similarly for backtab)
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> Good and important idea. I think this is what most users would expect
> since both the modes you mention and programs like web browsers behaves
> this way.

BTW, should we bind S-SPC in some read-only modes to the same command
as is bound to DEL?  In most browsers S-SPC is a synonym of DEL which
scrolls the page backwards, and possibly users might expect it to work
the same as in Emacs, particularly in Info and view-mode.  What I propose
is at least to add two following bindings:

(define-key Info-mode-map [?\S- ] 'Info-scroll-down)
(define-key view-mode-map [?\S- ] 'View-scroll-page-backward)

to info.el and view.el.  Currently S-SPC is translated to SPC in these modes
which is useless.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/