Re: 23.0.50; MacOS X 10.4: very slow visuals, multi-tty patch suspected

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: 23.0.50; MacOS X 10.4: very slow visuals, multi-tty patch suspected
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 21:43:51 +0100

Ted Zlatanov wrote:
> I am not looking for stability.  The current Cocoa port is *unusable*

You do mean Carbon, don't you? The Cocoa/GNUstep port is not yet merged.
I think if we disable it now, it will never be revived, even if someone
later comes forward who can maintain it. It's maybe better to leave our
options open at this stage, at least until the Cocoa/GNUstep work is
merged. The VMS code was unmaintained for years before we finally
disabled and removed it.

> and *unmaintained* (to the best of my knowledge) which is a very
> different thing from unstable and the reason I'm trying to bring up this
> issue again after 2 weeks of silence on the subject.  I'd fix it myself
> if I could, but I need at least some help (I posted on that earlier in
> the thread) and none has been offered on the emacs-devel list since my
> attempt 2 weeks ago.

I don't think anyone feels qualified to make an open offer of general
help. But if you post specific issues here, then people may be able to
help you on a case-by-case basis. I have been through the pain of
getting the Windows port working after the multi-tty merge, and the
former Carbon maintainer may still be reading the list if you need OSX
specific help. The multi-tty code and design is currently poorly
understood, but that is a general problem, not an OSX specific one.