Re: keep|flush-lines, how-many to be used backward.

From: Michaël Cadilhac
Subject: Re: keep|flush-lines, how-many to be used backward.
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 23:01:56 +0200

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

> What do you think about using a negative argument to operate before point?
> Many Emacs commands change their direction when the argument is negative,
> e.g. for `kill-sexp' the negative arg means kill sexps before point, etc.

Well, on the one hand, I understand what 18 kill-sexp does.  It kills 18
sexps, and this is fine if you want to kill that much sexps.  On the
other hand, what does 18 how-many means?

You're asking for a differentiation between a positive and a negative
argument, but what is the *purpose* of the value of this argument?

My proposal uses the prefix argument as a flag, not as an integer value.

> keep|flush-lines, how-many could do the same, e.g. `M-- M-x keep-lines'.

M-- puts a prefix of -1, so M-- M-x keep-lines would be the same as M-u
M-x keep-lines.

I hope I don't have misunderstood what you proposed.

--
 |   Michaël `Micha' Cadilhac       |  Libertude,                            |
 |   http://michael.cadilhac.name   |        Égalitude,                      |