Re: Splitting gnus.texi

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Re: Splitting gnus.texi
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 09:23:18 +0900

> It would be good to split gnus.texi into 10 to 15 files
> just because it is so big.  Similar for calc.texi.

At least for gnus.texi, I don't see the benefit of splitting.
It's indeed big, but is not too big to edit with Emacs.  Rather,
I cannot ignore a disadvantage of splitting it.  I sometimes
write in it.  Since various Gnus functions are related mutually,
I frequently check other items concerned when I write something.
For example, when I write description about nntp, I have to check
whether my writing does not conflict with descriptions of other
sections.  When I hesitate whether I should add @vindex for the
nntp-foo-bar variable, I scan the whole gnus.texi.  I do also it
when I examine it should be @acronym{NNTP}, @code{nntp}, or NNTP.
Now I only need to type `C-s nntp' for them.  But if gnus.texi is
split into 10 to 15 files, it will be quite troublesome.

I can agree with splitting if it is very useful to users, though.

Regards,