Re: 23.0.50; MacOS X 10.4: very slow visuals, multi-tty patch suspected

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: 23.0.50; MacOS X 10.4: very slow visuals, multi-tty patch suspected
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 11:19:47 +0200

> Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 08:44:10 +0100
> From: Jason Rumney <address@hidden>
> Cc: Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> Jason Rumney wrote:
> > Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
> >
> >> Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:
> >>
> >>   > merged. The VMS code was unmaintained for years before we finally
> >>   > disabled and removed it.
> >>
> >> Was there decision to remove VMS? There's still a ton of VMS
> >> #ifdefs... in emacs/src/*
> >>

> > The vms subdirectory was removed.
> Sorry, I was mistaken. I thought there used to be much more in the vms
> subdirectory, but savannah does not show anything in the Attic.

Nevertheless, your recollections are right: the removal of various
VMS-related parts in the code was requested several times, but it was
always rejected, even though the VMS build was clearly unmaintained.
We did NOT remove the VMS directory precisely for that reason.

Personally, I find it disturbing that many Free Software projects
consider removing bit-rotting builds too easily.  I like the fact that
Emacs is a notable exception from this rule.  So I don't think we
should remove the Mac build in question so quickly and so easily.