RE: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 08:18:53 -0700

> Oh, not at all: _iff_ I were using the echo area for tooltips, I would
> want the tool tip to be as long as the echo area.  But I am using
> popup frame tooltips, and for those, a single long line is quite ugly.
>
> And I think it perfectly fine to generally use as few lines as
> possible for echo-area tooltips.  But for the _regular_ tooltips,
> that's not pretty.

I think we might all be close. It sounds like we might agree on these things
(however they might be implemented):

. Tooltip/echo area text should generally be kept to a minimum.

. When used in the echo area, it should minimize the number of newlines,
adding them only when they really add clarity. No assumptions should be made
about the width or height of a user's echo area. In particular, no filling -
let the window resize itself or wrap the text if it is too long.

. When used as a tooltip, it should use newlines as appropriate to make the
text as clear as possible.