echo area clicks: *Messages*

From: David Reitter
Subject: echo area clicks: *Messages*
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 17:10:20 +0100

On 26 Sep 2007, at 15:59, Drew Adams wrote:

I often find myself clicking on the echo area by accident. Perhaps
that has to do with the fact that when the minibuffer is active, a
click there will put the focus there. But if I'm the only one who
makes that mistake, never mind.

You're not the only one. I've said the same thing. I too am not crazy about the new behavior of bringing up *Messages*. In fact, I find that it causes me more effort in the long run (especially since I use frames), since I then
have to close the *Messages* window/frame.

I understand why the new behavior was added, and that was especially because
of some such "accidents", in particular, mistaken attempts to select
echo-area output. Double-clicking will not help here however, IMO. I
personally prefer the old behavior (just an error message), but on n'arrete
pas le progres...

Normally, when a user action has no assigned function, the application does not react at all. Examples include pressing an unbound key, or clicking on, say the desktop background (on my system at least). I can see why a click on a message would lead to *Messages*, but a click into empty space? Even an error message seems to distract.

You might be interested in the attached patch, which will require a double-click to bring up *Messages*. I find that more consistent with other UIs, where double-clicks open something like a new window.