RE: New start up splash screen annoyance...

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: New start up splash screen annoyance...
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 09:15:46 -0700

> > Sorry for misunderstanding. I didn't realize that some tooltip
> > mentioned "left click". Yes, to be consistent it would say
> > "click `mouse-1'". (Complete consistency is not the only goal,
> > of course.)
>
> Only a hypothetical tooltip. I suggested to use "click" or "left
> click", actually, and what may have fooled you is that I agreed that
> the inconsistency is a problem for my own suggestion. I maintain that
> "left click" would be more natural even if wrong in very rare cases
> where users re-map this somewhere else, but I concede it would also
> have to be consistent with the rest of the documentation. Maybe we'll
> just respectfully disagree - the discussion won't bring up anything new!

I'm not sure we disagree (unless it's disagreeing about whether we disagree,
and we might even agree about that disagreement!).

We seem to agree that consistency is generally good but that there can be
exceptions. And we seem to agree that "click" in a tooltip (instead of
"click `mouse-1'") is a reasonable exception. And we seem to agree that this
discussion has probably already yielded anything of value that it had to
offer. ;-)