Re: echo area clicks: *Messages*

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: echo area clicks: *Messages*
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 18:49:11 +0200

David Reitter <address@hidden> writes:

> You might be interested in the attached patch, which will require a
> double-click to bring up *Messages*. I find that more consistent
> with other UIs, where double-clicks open something like a new
> window.

I think it should be possible to select and yank a region by
click-and-drag on the message area.  It would not be the same
click-and-drag elsewhere since point and mark don't really exist since
there is no window involved.  But at least as far as the
highlighting/dragging/yanking is involved, we should get analogous
behavior to the real thing.

Double click for *Messages* is an ok idea, too.  But the current
single-click behavior is more or less a copout for offering the user
something different from what he actually wanted and/or expected, but
which might be close enough.

--
David Kastrup