Re: can not decode 0x93 and 0x94 to correct char

From: William Xue
Subject: Re: can not decode 0x93 and 0x94 to correct char
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 17:38:07 +0800

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 16:30:01 +0800, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

From: Kenichi Handa <address@hidden>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 15:31:04 +0900
Cc: address@hidden

\223 and \224 are code points of cp125X for LEFT DOUBLE
QUOTATION MARK and RIGHT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK.  Their
Unicode code points are U+201C and U+201D (note that they
are not included in ISO-8859-1).

With the trunk Emacs, you must use UTF-8 (or the other
UTF-based encodings, some of CJK encodings) to handle those
characters.

Actually, Emacs 22.1 displays these characters just fine if I type
"C-x RET c cp1252 RET C-x C-f char_err_clip.c RET".  OTOH, using UTF-8
instead if cp1252 still displays octal escapes, like I'd expect.

AFAIK, in Emacs 22 on Windows, cp1252 and friends map these characters
into Unicode by design, and that is why using cp1252 for visiting this
file does The Right Thing.  So I don't think the OP needs to wait for
the inherent Unicode support.

I use the following settings in .emacs to make the things work.

(prefer-coding-system 'windows-1258)
(prefer-coding-system 'utf-8-emacs)

--
Yours,