Re: [BUG] Dark/bright face detection problem

From: Johannes Weiner
Subject: Re: [BUG] Dark/bright face detection problem
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 23:20:19 +0200

Hi,

On Sat, Sep 29, 2007 at 12:10:55PM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
> frame-set-background-mode should be called by setting the background color,
> and it ought to recompute all faces that are affected by the background mode.
>
> Can you please investigate what happens inside frame-set-background-mode
> so as to figure out the cause of this bug?

I think I have found the problem, please correct me if I am wrong:

Starting at lisp/faces.el, around the comment in line 1674.  It says that all
faces that should be NOT updated are collected (negative list, presuming that
most faces should be updated and just to collect the ones that do not).

Now, I can not tell why the following happens since I am not into it very
deeply, but almost all faces, excluding about 4 here, are pushed to this
locally-modified list, which won't get updated through `face-spec-set' in line
1695.

The logic seems to be reversed; all faces that should get updated are left
untouched and vice versa.  `locally-modified' contains exactly the opposite
set of items it should contain.

I will dig deeper into it, but for perhaps this already helps someone who
knows the code better.

        Hannes

--
3BD8 AF56 11AF 205C 9DB6  B10F 76F1 0634 71A4 DCA0