Re: generate 3) S-mouse-2: follow link in new window

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: generate 3) S-mouse-2: follow link in new window
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 10:54:35 +0200

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

>> Because Emacs is configured right from the start not to work,
>
> It sure is. That's why I proposed something that would make it work. ;-)
>
>> but rather force the user to configure things
>> and make permanent decisions
>> permanently reconfigure the user's Emacs,
>> taking his choice from him in future.
>> casting this decision in stone   [from your preceding mail]
>
> Permanent decisions? Permanently reconfigure? Nothing permanent
> about it.  Stop your scare tactics, please. By your same logic, such
> a "permanent decision" is made now by you for the user - before s?he
> even starts up.

But it isn't the user that is forced to make a decision.  The decision
has been made by knowledgable people after long discussions, agreeing
on the most likely useful default.  We have long discussions here in
order to arrive at an Emacs useful out of the box for everyone.

In contrast, the amount of information regarding Emacs' standard
interfaces and conventions to a user is close to zero for a beginner.
A beginner does not _want_ to make semi-permanent decisions before
getting acquainted with the system.

> It is not my proposal that reduces user awareness, choices, and the
> ability to control things - on the contrary. It will let users know:
> (1) that the behavior can be changed and (2) which option to
> change. Currently, they haven't got a clue.
>
>> Do you ignore negative input on purpose?
>
> Although I don't avoid negative argument, I do try to ignore your
> "permanently configured" knee-jerk slurs and vitriol.

Sorry, but that's ridiculous.  Just because the effects are quite
negative for a beginner and I describe them as such, this does not
make my response a knee-jerk or vitriol.

> Anyway, if I don't reply to your negative input, it's likely that
> that is the reason - I perceive too much heat, not enough light.
>
> Technical arguments welcome. Save the bullying for the playground.

This is a technical argument.  And not addressing it does not
particularly improve the impression that you have thought this
through.