RE: overriding a face [was: 23.0.50; face-problems with multy-tty]

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: overriding a face [was: 23.0.50; face-problems with multy-tty]
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 07:22:20 -0700

>     What I'm asking for is something that will _create or replace_ a face
>     definition, the same way `setq' creates a new variable or replaces an
>     existing variable's value.
>
> I had no idea that is what you wanted to do.

Hmm, I explained it just that way twice. Out of curiosity, what was it that
you were saying you were in favor of?

> The way to do that is to call make-face, then face-spec-set.

OK, thanks. I had forgotten that make-face is a no-op for an existing face.

> We could make a simple way to do both, if it is useful often enough
> to be worth its weight in paper in the manual.

Please do. Its name alone (`set-face' or whatever) would be helpful - it
wasn't obvious to me, at least, how to do that. It would require only one or
two lines of space in the manual.