RE: Problems with setting face attributes for specific frames

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Problems with setting face attributes for specific frames
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 08:09:19 -0700

>     >     I don't understand all of what you're proposing or what the
>     >     problem is that you're fixing. I think you're proposing removing
>     >     the FRAME arg from `set-face-attribute' (perhaps among other
>     >     changes). Is that correct?
>     >
>     > Yes.
>
>     OK, but I still don't understand the problem that you're
>     fixing. Could you perhaps summarize it?
>
> If we get rid of using `set-face-attribute' for specific frames, the
> resulting simplification would make it possible to fix the handling of
> changes in background mode due to setting the background color.

AFAICT, I do not currently change a face attribute for a single frame, but
it sounds like a reasonable thing to want to do. Is getting rid of that
possibility really necessary to be able to handle "changes in background
mode due to setting the background color"?

I still don't understand what that problem is, BTW. In your description of
it in this thread, you say that it has to do with `set-background-color'
calling `frame-set-background'. Why does doing that affect the frame
background mode? And what does changing the frame background (with or
without the background mode) have to do with changing an attribute of an
individual face for that frame?

Conceptually, at least, those would seem to be separate things. Perhaps the
problem is that they are not separate in the implementation? You say that
you can alternatively solve this problem by keeping "user-specified
single-frame face attributes separate from the actual face attributes
deduced..." If the former are interfering with the frame background mode,
then that sounds like a better approach than simply getting rid of them.

To me, they sound like a useful feature, perhaps even more useful than the
frame-background-mode, which is anyway problematic wrt what constitutes
"light" and "dark" etc.

In any case, as I say, I don't use that feature today. The more important
problem you would create for me (by your other proposal) would be to get rid
of the ability to change a face attribute globally (for all frames at once).
What is the reason for that proposal? AFAICT, you gave no reason; you just
said you are thinking of making that change.