Re: Emacs Lisp manual issues regarding overlays, display properties, mar

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp manual issues regarding overlays, display properties, margins, etc.
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 11:29:03 -0400

There seems to be something totally fishy with the way margin display
properties work:

      (test-overlays
       (insert "ABC")
       (let ((o1 (make-overlay 2 3)))
         (overlay-put o1 'display '((margin left-margin) "Z")))
       (set-window-margins (get-buffer-window (current-buffer)) 8))

this causes Z to appear in the margin and causes B not to appear
in the body of the text.

That seems like a bug to me.  It seems to me that a property that puts
something in the margin should not alter the appearance of the text
it is on.

Does anyone think the current behavior is desirable?