RE: Simplification of faces

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Simplification of faces
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 09:47:05 -0700

>     > If you want it to change only certain attributes and leave
>     > the others unchanged, you would need to call [face]-attribute
>     > to get the values of the other attributes, and perhaps put
>     > them into the spec you construct, so as to make sure they
>     > won't be altered.
>
>     Assuming I could understand and do what you describe, why
>     would each person need to do all of that, just to be able
>     to change a face attribute? Can't we have an Emacs function
>     that does exactly that, change certain attributes
>     only? What was wrong with `modify-face', for that matter?
>
> I don't mind.

What does that mean?  Will you (still) provide such a function?

Lisp programmers have been able to modify individual face attributes since
at least Epoch (~ GNU Emacs 18.58 + faces and such) in the early 90s. It
would really be a step backward to remove this feature and make everyone try
to roll his own.

Apologies if I misunderstand you - your reply was succinct to the point of
vacuity. To me, at least, this is an important feature; please elaborate a
bit.