New VC diff for review

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: New VC diff for review
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 11:23:54 -0400

I spent most of last night and this morning porting comments and the
odd name change from the new vc.el into Emacs CVS vc.el, and code
changes in CVS since the fork in the other direction, bulding on Dan's
work in reordering the functions in CVS head vc.el.  I also mostly
reconciled the manual in CVS with my version.

In both cases I deliberately omitted the changes that are specific to
the new VC UI.  The goal was to make these changes stand out from the
background so they'll be easier for reviewers to analyze.  The diff is
still large (1500-odd lines), but about a third shorter than it was
and much, *much* easier to read.

It should now be possible to verify that introducing VC won't introduce
regressions.  Or, if any remain, to spot and fix them without too much
difficulty.

I'd work on reducing the diff some more, but I've been called to
officiate at a pirate/pastafarian wedding this evening.  (No, I'm not
kidding.)  The rest of my weeekend is pretty much shot as far as getting
more hacking done goes, and Monday through Wednesday I'll be helping
prepare for a release on another project.

I hope Dan or some other reviewer will be able to pore over these enclosures
while I have to be off doing other things