Re: Please install: Some improvements to doc-view.el

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Please install: Some improvements to doc-view.el
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2007 09:10:41 -0400

    > But what if we use my change in `dired-view-file' and add an additional
    > test for (featurep 'doc-view)?  Then users would only be asked if
    > doc-view should be used for pdf/ps/dvi files if they required it
    > explicitly.  If they do so, we can be sure that they have the needed
    > external programs installed.

    But this would mean that merely loading doc-view.el changes the behavior of
    dired-view-file.  Since loading a package should not change the behavior of
    Emacs (because the load may take place for all kinds of reasons), I think
    it's not a good solution,

You are right, but this is easily fixed.  The right way to control
whether to use doc-view is with a variable (if we don't enable it
unconditionally).

The real question is whether to use doc-view or the Gnus mechanism.