Re: 23.0.50; strange messages on built-in variables

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: 23.0.50; strange messages on built-in variables
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2007 17:11:52 +0200

Am 07.10.2007 um 02:50 schrieb Dan Nicolaescu:

(featurep 'mac-carbon) looks like the better choice.

Did you try it? Did it work?

Yes. Substituting

        (or (eq system-type 'mac) (eq system-type 'darwin)))

with

        (featurep 'mac-carbon))

removes the many messages.

The commands reported are from Carbon Emacs –

They seems to be defined only for Carbon.

which can't be compiled (the usual way) with the mac/make-package
script:

        gcc -I/sw/include -L/sw/lib -DMAC_OSX -DHAVE_CONFIG_H
-I. -I../src -
I/Users/pete/Quellen/Emacs_CVS/emacs/mac/../lib-src -I/Users/pete/
Quellen/Emacs_CVS/emacs/mac/../lib-src/../src -dead_strip -
bind_at_load -multiply_defined suppress -L/sw/lib/freetype219/lib -L/
sw/lib/fontconfig2/lib -L/sw/lib/ncurses -L/sw/lib -L/usr/local/lib -
g -O2 -Wno-pointer-sign   movemail.o pop.o getopt.o getopt1.o
-o movemail
        powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1: getopt.o: No such file or directory
powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1: getopt1.o: No such file or directory
        make[1]: *** [movemail] Error 1
        make: *** [lib-src] Error 2

The Carbon port on CVS trunk has been abandoned by its maintainers and
it is known to be broken. But the above is probably not related to
what is known to be broken. If you are interested, can you try to
figure out what goes wrong? It would be better to start by just using
./configure

I did

./configure --without-x --without-ns --without-sound --without- toolkit-scroll-bars --prefix=/usr/local --enable-carbon-app --enable- locallisppath=/Library/Application\ Support/Emacs/calendar23:/Library/ Application\ Support/Emacs/caml:/Library/Application\ Support/Emacs:/ sw/share/emacs21/site-lisp/elib

which ended in:

  What window system should Emacs use?                    mac
  What toolkit should Emacs use?                          none
  Where do we find X Windows header files?                NONE
  Where do we find X Windows libraries?                   NONE
  Does Emacs use -lXaw3d?                                 no
  Does Emacs use -lXpm?                                   no
  Does Emacs use -ljpeg?                                  no
  Does Emacs use -ltiff?                                  no
  Does Emacs use a gif library?                           no
  Does Emacs use -lpng?                                   no
Does Emacs use -lrsvg-2? yes ; why that?
  Does Emacs use -lgpm?                                   no
  Does Emacs use X toolkit scroll bars?                   no

but src/emacs only was able to run inside a terminal emulation.

I'll try to find the changes necessary!

--
Greetings

  Pete

In a world without walls and fences, who needs gates and windows?