Re: carbon build hangs on startup

From: Randal L. Schwartz
Subject: Re: carbon build hangs on startup
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2007 19:56:49 -0700

>> For some meaning of "work".  I don't fire up X11 on my mac more than
>> once every month or two.  But I use Carbon Emacs every day... it's
>> essential in my workflow.

YAMAMOTO> We've at last got an official release version (22.1) for that.  I had
YAMAMOTO> spent much time and effort for this version.

Yes, I'm using the 22.1 version.

YAMAMOTO> Of course it's up to you whether to make such a plea.  But keep in
YAMAMOTO> mind that developers' time and effort for multi-tty and Unicode
YAMAMOTO> support on the Carbon port might be wasted if the Cocoa/GNUStep port
YAMAMOTO> becomes good enough for Emacs 23.  I don't think it's a good idea to
YAMAMOTO> invest them in catching up with the trunk NOW.

YAMAMOTO> The situation is different from that of pre-22: we have a brand-new
YAMAMOTO> first stable release version running on the Mac native window system
YAMAMOTO> and ordinary Mac users don't need to use the CVS version, there's an
YAMAMOTO> alternative, and the next major release does not happen too soon.

So, you're saying that there will be a non-X11 version of Emacs for OSX in the
works, even though it's not usable just yet?  Do you have an idea of when it
might be usable?

<address@hidden> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>