Re: Please install: Some improvements to doc-view.el

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Please install: Some improvements to doc-view.el
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 22:42:09 +0300

> It would be a good thing to have just one such mechanism: either
> the one Gnus uses, or doc-view.  If we choose doc-view, then we
> should make Gnus use it.
>
> What are the arguments in favor of doc-view?
>
> Does someone want to argue in favor of the mechanism that Gnus uses?

DocView and the Gnus mailcap mechanism are unrelated features.
Mailcap finds an appropriate external program to start in a separate
process.  DocView converts PDF/PS/DVI files to PNG files and displays
them in the Emacs buffer.  Perhaps this confusion was caused by the
name of the package doc-view?  What would be a better name?

BTW, the same package could be used to display other multi-image formats
in the same Emacs buffer, like e.g. a sequence of images from animated GIF.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/