Re: vc-diff in non-VC buffer

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: vc-diff in non-VC buffer
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 23:58:20 +0200

On 10/10/07, Eric S. Raymond <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hm.  Even if there are other version-controlled files beneath the
> current directory?

Well, I'm not sure about this case, I'd have to think it over. I
suppose that such behavior would make sense when asking for vc-diff in
dired, or selecting a directory in some way. But vc-diff in a buffer
visiting a file *not* under version-control... no, I wouldn't expect a
tree search.

Anyway, I have no version-controlled files in my %HOME dir or beneath
it, and C-x v = while editing the .emacs file now tries to do some
version-control processing (with predictably bad results), while
before it just said: "File c:/home/.emacs is not under version
control", which seems sensible.

I'm not saying my view is the only one reasonable, but to me the
current behavior is a regression.

> I think people are likely to become quite upset with me if I
> remove that.

Then at the very least make it a user option, please.

             Juanma