Re: 23.0.50; Cannot run calculator on TTY

From: T. V. Raman
Subject: Re: 23.0.50; Cannot run calculator on TTY
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 21:21:32 -0700

For something like the calculator that wants to claim as small a
window as possible, I would guess that the header line is not too
useful, especially since it has a modeline.

    >> I finally isolated the cause of this problem.
    martin> Fine.
    martin>
    >> In short, if a buffer has a header-line set i.e. non-nil
    >> value for header-line-format, then launching calculator
    >> there boms with the error shown earlier.
    >>
    >> Specifically, compare the following two forms: ;;; no
    >> error: (let ((header-line-format nil) (window-min-height
    >> 2)) (split-window-vertically -2))
    >>

    >> ;;; Errors: (let ((header-line-format "Foo")
    >> (window-min-height 2)) (split-window-vertically -2))
    >>
    >> Basically when header-line-format is set, the smallest
    >> window you can make needs 3 lines.
    martin>
    martin> When you're splitting windows, yes.
    martin>

> The fix might be to set header-line-format to nil in the
    >> top-level let form in calculator.
    martin>
    martin> Alternatively we could do something like
    martin>
    martin> (select-window (split-window-vertically ;; If the
    martin> modeline might interfere with the calculator buffer,
    martin> ;; use 3 lines instead.  (- (if (and (fboundp
    martin> 'face-attr-construct) (let* ...  (plist-get
    martin> (face-attr-construct 'modeline) :overline))) -3 -2)
    martin> (if header-line-format 1 0))))
    martin>
    martin> in calculator.  The problem is that `calculator'
    martin> should do all those fancy calculations it does for
    martin> the mode-line for the header-line too.  What do you
    martin> prefer?  Is a header-line of any use for calculator?
    martin>

--
Best Regards,
--raman