Re: isearch multiple buffers

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: isearch multiple buffers
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 10:14:26 -0400

> Perhaps, we should add a new user option with 3 possible values:
> 1. don't stop in the initial buffer
> 2. stop once in the initial buffer
> 3. stop in every next buffer

I think the two behaviors are quite different conceptually: if we switch to
another buffer without requiring an additional C-s, we're giving the
illusion that all the files are really just a single file, whereas otherwise
we're just making it easier to search through several files.

Both are attractive.  The first option is pretty powerful: you can use it as
an alternative to C-x b (e.g. if you set
isearch-buffers-next-buffer-function to cycle through all the files in your
project, for example).

        Stefan