Another VC terminology change?

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Another VC terminology change?
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 10:30:05 -0400

I note, in files.texi:

    The terms ``checkin'' and ``checkout'' are associated with file-based
    and locking-based systems and a bit archaic; nowadays those operations
    are usually called ``commit'' and ``update''.

Since I've had to take a big hammer to VC's terminology anyway to clean up the
inconsistencies Stefan pointed out, I'm thinking now might be a good time
for me to go further and change these.

The argument against, of course, is that users are accustomed to these
terms.  They're embedded in VC because when I originally wrote it SCCS
and RCS were the only games in town[1] and these are the terms they used.

The argument for is that 'commit' and 'update' are a better match for the
terms CVS introduced and every subsequent VCS we're interested in has pretty
much retained.

[1] Actually, CVS was in use at a university somewhere, but it didn't hit
the big time til a few years after I wrote VC.