Re: Adding xterm-extras to Emacs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Adding xterm-extras to Emacs
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 16:12:37 -0400

>>> However the following key bindings are recognized differently in `C-h K':
>>
>>> Alt-right => <A-right>
>>> Alt-left => <A-left>
>>> Alt-up => <A-up>
>>> Alt-down => <A-down>
>>
>> Is that good or bad?  The above looks right to me.  What was it before?
>> What should it be instead?

> I was expecting to see <M-right> etc. For example some modes bind
> `M-right' to a command. But I could only invoke it by "Esc + RightArrow"
> and not "Alt + RightArrow".

Have you tried with other "alt" keys?  There's always this issue about
Alt-vs-Meta, so normally xterm converts the Meta modifier into an ESC prefix
(via the "metaSendsEscape" which you seem to have set as well).
If you don't like to distinguish Meta from Alt, then maybe you should play
with xmodmap to turn all your Alt keys into Meta keys or vice-versa.

        Stefan