Re: mouse-autoselect-window raises frames

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: mouse-autoselect-window raises frames
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 16:22:54 -0400

>> I do want mouse autoselection.  And changing focus-follows-mouse has no
>> effect w.r.t this problem.
> `focus-follows-mouse' nil should inhibit selecting and subsequently
> raising another frame.  If it doesn't it's a bug.

I saw the same problem with focus-follows-mouse set to nil, so I guess there
is a bug.

> The problem is that mouse movement also generates a switch-frame event
> which is equally disturbing.

Why should it be disturbing?  AFAIK all it does is `select-frame', right?

> But I'm already convinced that there's no reason to either focus or raise
> the frame in `handle-select-window'.

Great ;-)

>> If the window-manager wants to raise the window in order to give it focus,
>> that's "OK" (it would piss me off, but that's why I don't use such a window
>> manager).  But it's not OK for Emacs to do that.

> An auto-raise window-manager doesn't raise the window in order to give
> it focus but simply in order to avoid changing the position of `point'
> (as you would do with a mouse click) when you want to switch to a
> specific window with the mouse.

I was thinking of the WM raising the window not because of auto-raise but
because of click-to-focus and more generally because it wants to impose
a policy where "focus'd frame is never behind another".

        Stefan