Re: Doc-view as default viewer for pdf, ps and dvi files (was: Please in

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Doc-view as default viewer for pdf, ps and dvi files (was: Please install: Some improvements to doc-view.el)
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 22:46:44 -0400

    Whenever you find such a file it will be opened with doc-view-mode in a
    text representation.  If emacs was compiled with image (png) support, it
    will be switched to the rendered image presentation immediately,
    otherwise we stay in the text display mode.

I want to make sure I understand right.

If Emacs does not have PNG support, doc-view cannot show the image,
and C-c C-c won't really do anything.  If Emacs does have PNG support,
doc-view will display the file graphically at first, and you only need
C-c C-c if you want to see the text.

Is that right?  Please tell me if any part of that is not correct.

    Both display modes are read-only.  With `C-c C-e' one can switch to an
    appropriate editing mode -- ps-mode for ps files and fundamental-mode
    for pdf and dvi files.

Why not do this by default?