Re: unload-feature questions and thoughts

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: unload-feature questions and thoughts
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 02:41:31 -0400

    > If we are not going to change the meaning of FEATURE-unload-hook, then
    > rather than create a second similar feature, I would rather move the
    > normal handling into a function that the hooks can call.

    IMHO this is a hack. `unload-feature' does quite a bit of things (and
    could conceivably do more, as Davis suggested: remove items from
    keymaps, for example). There's no need for a hook that only
    substitutes for part of that processing.

I don't know why you say it "only substitutes for part of that
processing".  Maybe it is a misunderstanding.

    Let's get rid of FEATURE-unload-hook. It is used only when unloading
    packages, so in most cases the incompatibility won't cause big trouble
    (unless unloading packages is more common that I think).

That is gratuitous breakage.  No thanks.