Re: Doc-view as default viewer for pdf, ps and dvi files

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Doc-view as default viewer for pdf, ps and dvi files
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 10:25:39 +0200

>     Because with C-c C-c you can toggle between image or text display,
>     but you wen't leave doc-view-mode.  After C-c C-e you switch to
>     another major mode and cannot toggle back with another C-c C-e.
>
> Now that I understand that, it makes sense.  But I did not grasp this
> after the first message.  So could you please say this explicitly
> where this feature is documented?

The usage comment in doc-view.el says

,----
| ;; To use it simply open a document file with
| ;;
| ;;     C-x C-f ~/path/to/document RET
| ;;
| ;; and the document will be converted and displayed, if your emacs supports
png
| ;; images.  With `C-c C-c' you can toggle between the rendered images
| ;; representation and the source text representation of the document.  With
| ;; `C-c C-e' you can switch to an appropriate editing mode for the document.
`----

And the function docstrings say

,----
| (defun doc-view-toggle-display ()
|   "Start or stop displaying a document file as a set of images.
| This command toggles between showing the text of the document
| file and showing the document as a set of images."
`----

and

,----
| (defun doc-view-edit-doc ()
|   "Leave `doc-view-mode' and open the current doc with an appropriate editing
mode."
`----

If you decide to install the patch this feature should be added to the
texinfo docs, too.  Here's the entry for image-mode, the entry for
doc-view-mode would be quite similar, because I took image-mode as
pattern.

,----[ (info "(emacs)File Conveniences") ]
|    Visiting image files automatically selects Image mode.  This major
| mode allows you to toggle between displaying the file as an image in
| the Emacs buffer, and displaying its underlying text representation,
| using the command `C-c C-c' (`image-toggle-display').  This works only
| when Emacs can display the specific image type.  If the displayed
| image is wider or taller than the frame, the usual point motion keys
| (`C-f', `C-p', and so forth) cause different parts of the image to be
| displayed.
`----

Bye,
Tassilo