Re: RE: Re: 23.0.50; Middle ``wZZ in of permissions in dired-mode is red

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: RE: Re: 23.0.50; Middle ``wZZ in of permissions in dired-mode is red and bold: dired-warning
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 22:24:02 +0200

> From: "Drew Adams" <address@hidden>
> Cc: <address@hidden>, <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 22:40:21 -0700
>
> And now we still see "warn" in the
> face name, presumably for purely legacy reasons. What's that about?

It warns about group-writable and world-writable files.  Presumably,
some people see a potential security hole in such files.  (I say such
people need an OS that's better protected than your garden-variety
GNU/Linux or Unix, like SELinux, but that's me.)

> Wrt those who are annoyed by "too much" such Dired highlighting: I haven't
> checked how this was recently implemented in vanilla Emacs, but in dired+ it
> is relegated to a second level of highlighting, so you see it only if you
> choose `font-lock-maximum-decoration'.

This will not help, as `font-lock-maximum-decoration' defaults to t
since Emacs 20.1.

> And of course all Dired highlighting goes away if you turn off
> `font-lock-mode'.

The same happens in stock Emacs 22.1.