Re: 23.0.50; Middle w in of permissions in dired-mode is red and bold: d

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: 23.0.50; Middle w in of permissions in dired-mode is red and bold: dired-warning
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 00:21:01 +0300

>> And now we still see "warn" in the
>> face name, presumably for purely legacy reasons. What's that about?
>
> It warns about group-writable and world-writable files.  Presumably,
> some people see a potential security hole in such files.  (I say such
> people need an OS that's better protected than your garden-variety
> GNU/Linux or Unix, like SELinux, but that's me.)

I don't understand the need of adding a new face `dired-warn-writable'?
It adds another unnecessary face, and still doesn't fix a problem
of the annoying bold red indication of group and world writable permissions.

If no one finds this indication useful, we can remove it completely
(I must admit it never helped me to find wrong permissions).  Otherwise,
we could revert the `dired-warning' face to less annoying colors, and
maybe turn this face off by default on Windows (is this possible to do
with a face condition?)

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/