Re: Improving X selection?

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Improving X selection?
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 13:06:20 +0200

Horsley, Tom skrev:
I am very opposed to any solution that drags in any selection I explicitly does not paste into Emacs. For example, if I want to paste CLIPBOARD, PRIMARY may be a very large selection. Over a slow link, getting PRIMARY also makes Emacs unresponsive for several seconds.
This just means that not all users will like the proposal, and
therefore we should have an option to let the users decide what they
want.  The option should probably be tristate, as the current behavior
could have its zealots as well, who will hate the change.  Maybe even
4 different values, see below.

Actually, I was sort of thinking that once the basic support
for returning multiple selection strings was implemented, an
X specific change could be devised that would introduce a
configurable variable something like:

x-paste-what-selections

which could be a list of 'CLIPBOARD, 'PRIMARY, etc.

That would have to be something like:
 x-paste-what-selections-with-menubar
 x-paste-what-selections-with-toolbar
 x-paste-what-selections-with-keys
 x-paste-what-selections-with-mouse

to be useful, i.e. able to support the freedesktop model.

        Jan D.