Re: function-key-map

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: function-key-map
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 12:03:34 -0400

    I'm not sure about that: I think it's important to keep some distinguishing
    word in there to say that these are maps from keys to keys rather than from
    keys to commands.  `key' used to be the magic word to indicate this fact.

Actually I never thought it was supposed to mean that.  The name
`function-key-map' means that's where function keys are produced from
other events.  `key-translation-map' also has the word "key" in it,
but the grammatical function of "key" is different in the two names,
so I do not see them as parallel.