Re: frame-local variables weirdness

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: frame-local variables weirdness
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 13:50:36 -0400

> I found the discussion.  I see that someone asked for a feature to
> display frame-specific data in the mode line, and I decided this
> general feature (with which the job could be done) was cleaner and
> simpler than a specific feature which could do only that one job.

That's a reasonable request, and indeed there are situations where we can
lookup a variable but we cannot call a function which could potentially run
arbitrary code.
Maybe that's enough to keep the feature.

> Since it isn't very useful, we can take it out if we cannot fix it.
> But first let's try to fix it.

But the above request does not mean we need to be able to mix&match
let-bindings, buffer-local, and frame-local variables.  If we disallowed the
buffer-local&frame-local variables, the problem would disappear.  This part
of the language is already complex enough as it stands.

        Stefan