Re: doc-view.el: about cursor and filename display

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: doc-view.el: about cursor and filename display
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 00:10:54 -0400

    That can happen if the user calls revert explicitly as well (yes, less
    likely and less severe, but still: the user might do M-x revert-buffer,
    then get annoyed that it doesn't see the result, so do it again and again
    and again).

    It shouldn't be too difficult to protect against it by detecting the
    situation and "reacting appropriately".

I don't see how it is possible to detect such a situation.  M-x
revert-buffer could at most detect that input is pending; it cannot
tell what that input will do when executed, so there is really nothing
it can do.

The best solution I know of is to display a message in the echo area
saying that it is reformatting the file.  That way the user could know
to type C-g if he does not want to let it finish.  It would be even better
to print percentage progress messages, but it may be hard for Emacs to
get the information.