Re: custom-variable-menu loses entries if defined during site-start

From: Adam Spiers
Subject: Re: custom-variable-menu loses entries if defined during site-start
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 17:50:07 +0100

On Tue, Oct 09, 2007 at 09:31:14PM -0400, Glenn Morris wrote:
> Adam Spiers wrote:
> > I noticed that since upgrading to emacs 22, when changing variables
> > in a Custom buffer, individual variables no longer offered the "Save
> > for Future Sessions" action in the State menu, even when custom-file
> > and user-init-file are set correctly. I tracked it down to this
> > change:
> >

> > http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/emacs/lisp/cus-edit.el?root=emacs&view=diff&r1=1.250&r2=1.251
> >
> > In particular, in the defvar of custom-variable-menu:
> >
> >    ("Save for Future Sessions" custom-variable-save
> >
> > is changed to
> >
> >    ,@(when (or custom-file user-init-file)
> >        '(("Save for Future Sessions" custom-variable-save
> >
> > This works fine if cus-edit.el is loaded after custom-file and/or
> > user-init-file are initialized during startup.
>
> Perhaps cus-edit could test `init-file-user' instead of `user-init-file'.
> Looks like this is set early enough in the startup sequence.

Test that it's non-nil, you mean?  I guess that could work, though I
don't know enough about the startup sequence to know whether
`init-file-user' being non-nil implies that `custom-file' or
`user-init-file' will be available later on.

> > However, on Fedora 7, the emacs-common-22.0.990-2.fc7 rpm
>
> This is a pretest of Emacs 22.

Whoops, so it was.

> Is there not a proper Emacs 22.1 package for Fedora 7?

Not sure if there was when I installed F7 originally, but there
certainly is now.  I upgraded, but the problem persists.

Can anyone think of a better temporary work-around than using
--no-site-file, which is obviously less than ideal?

Thanks,
Adam