Re: 23.0.50; [emacsclient] *ERROR*: Don't know how to create a frame on

From: Michael Mauger
Subject: Re: 23.0.50; [emacsclient] *ERROR*: Don't know how to create a frame on window system x
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 17:02:21 -0700 (PDT)

Luca Capello wrote:

> I get the output in the subject whenever I tried to use emacsclient
> with something very simple like (the same trying to editing a file):
>
>   $ emacsclient -e 'user-full-name'
>
> This is very strange, because emacs is compiled without X support and
> I anyway started it as `emacs -nw`.

I was running into the same problem on w32.  It's due to the multi-tty
merge.  The problem is that DISPLAY is set.  I have an X server running
under w32, but obviously, my w32 Emacs doesn't support X, so the error was
unexpected.

Try:

  $ DISPLAY=  emacsclient -e 'user-full-name'

and the error should go away.  (Note that there has to be at least a space
between the "DISPLAY=" and "emacsclient ...".)

This is something that ought to be fixed.  We need better heuristics about
what type of frame the user wants and can support.