Re: doc-view.el: about cursor and filename display

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: doc-view.el: about cursor and filename display
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 10:47:29 +0900

Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:
> Is this a good idea?
> PostScript is not only used for documents, but it is also a
> programming language. How likely is it that someone that does a C-x
> C-f for a ps file does it in order to view it, not to edit it?
> I haven't done it in a long time, but I used to regularly have to
> tweak ps files generated by various utilities...

Yeah, I agree -- it's a fine programming language in its own way, and
quite reasonable as a real source language.

I'd guess in such cases, given that Emacs is fundamentally a
text-editor, it seems best to do something like Emacs already does for
.xpm files:  display as text (in postscript-mode or whatever) with a
message saying "Type C-c C-c to view the printed form of this document."

Indeed, for hacking on postscript, this would be great -- just make a
change, then hit C-c C-c to see the effect in the same window!

-Miles

--
"Though they may have different meanings, the cries of 'Yeeeee-haw!' and
 'Allahu akbar!' are, in spirit, not actually all that different."