Re: Doc-view as default viewer for pdf, ps and dvi files

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Doc-view as default viewer for pdf, ps and dvi files
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 08:47:39 +0200

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

>> With `C-c C-c' one can toggle between image and source text display.
>> Both display modes are read-only.  With `C-c C-e' one can switch to
>> an appropriate editing mode -- ps-mode for ps files and
>> fundamental-mode for pdf and dvi files.
>
> I still have doubts that `C-c C-e' is necessary.  Isn't it possible to
> put .ps files in ps-mode, and also put it in `doc-view-minor-mode'?
> It would be like `image-minor-mode'.

Then I'd have to make doc-view-mode a minor mode, right?  Are there
other benefits except that you get font-locking for PS files then?

Currently I don't have too much time to work on this, but I'll put it on
my todo list.

> Also rebinding `C-x k' to a different command is not a good thing.
> When the user has a habit to type `C-x k RET' to kill the current buffer,
> then if a pdf file was visited from the dired buffer, typing `C-x k RET'
> in doc-view-mode will visit it again (rebound `C-x k' will kill the buffer
> without confirmation, and RET will revisit from the dired buffer :-)
>
> I suggest you to bind `q' to `doc-view-kill-proc-and-buffer' and don't
> rebind `C-x k'.

I like `q' to be bound to bury-buffer, but I agree that rebinding `C-x
k' isn't perfect and I'll take it out.

> Also I noticed that often the message
> "DocView: finished conversion from PDF/PS to PNG!"
> overwrites the message
> "Type C-c C-c to toggle between image and text display."
> in the minibuffer, so the user may miss this information.

Right.  But since I implemented this mode-line-process indicator, those
messages are superfluous anyway and I'll take them out.

Bye,
Tassilo