Re: frame-local variables weirdness

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: frame-local variables weirdness
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 09:53:02 -0400

>     So using a new function (get-local-data SYMBOL) we could take care of
>     such problems.

> I don't follow.  What would that function do?

It would behave similarly to `symbol-value' now.  The main difference is
that it wouldn't be implicitly used just by using the SYMBOL because it
wouldn't be considered as a normal variable.  The main implication is that
it wouldn't need to worry about interacting with let-binding and it wouldn't
need to worry about being fast either.

So we can use a much simpler implementation, less buggy, and much more
maintainable and extensible (we could probably easily add any kind of
localness we want: window-local, point-local, time-local, you name it).

        Stefan