Re: abbrev-mode - toggle-abbrev-mode

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: abbrev-mode - toggle-abbrev-mode
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 12:52:22 -0700

Adding emacs-devel because I think this is a more general policy question.

In general some-mode and toggle-some-mode are different.  (some-mode nil)
is equivalent to (toggle-some-mode), while (some-mode 1) and (some-mode -1)
unconditionally turn it on and off respectively.  As far as I know, XEmacs tries
to avoid the toggle-, turn-on-, turn-off-some-mode style.  I would
prefer to avoid
introducing it if Emacs is not actively promoting that style (in fact,
I'd prefer to
ask Emacs to do things our way, on principle, not out of laziness ;-).

I'm certainly in favor of maintaining common interfaces for common
functionality,
but first we should think about whether there are reasons for doing it
one way or
the other.