Re: help-fns.el patch for commands to describe options and commands

From: William Xu
Subject: Re: help-fns.el patch for commands to describe options and commands
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 14:25:04 +0900

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> Yes. When you are looking for a command, you don't want to see a zillion
>> non-interactive functions as candidates. This cuts down that noise
>> *considerably*.
>
> I could buy that.  But those users for whom it matters most won't know to
> use the C-u prefix.  And usually the C-u prefix means something like "give
> me more control", so it would make more sense to only list commands/options
> and let C-u specify that we actually want to see all functions/variables.

I like Drew's idea. But if i have to C-u everytime to see all
functions/variables, then it would be a great pain writing elisps..

On the contrary, C-u is not friendly to newbies. So maybe a better
solution is to add/redefine two new bindings, `C-h c' and `C-h o' for
commands and options, respectively. [Currently `C-h c' is binded to
describe-key-briefly, which i find myself nearly never use..]

--
William

http://williamxu.net9.org