Apropos newbies

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Apropos newbies
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 16:34:10 +0200

As the question of newbies has been raised: I suggest a little change of
Emacs' didactic:

away from presenting keys first and somehow as the main
issue of Emacs (even if it might be true to some extend
later)

towards a more mnemonic command/function lecturing
approach.

This pertains to the manuals too.

Even if not urgent to rewrite it now, I suggest to say

"The command `next-line' (`C-n')

instead of

"The command `C-n' (`next-line')

for example.

With completion in minibuffer, which every novice
should learn first, hundreds and thousands commands are
called via M-x with reasonable speed, whereas learning all
the keys of them might be a live-long and sometimes
futile task.

Thanks

Andreas Röhler