Minibuffer default values list

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Minibuffer default values list
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 03:22:15 +0300

I installed a new feature (with updates in NEWS and Info manuals) since
Richard approved it twice before the previous release but that was postponed
due to feature freeze.

It allows specifying a list of default values in the DEFAULT argument of
minibuffer functions.  This list of default values is accessible by typing
M-n in the minibuffer; each M-n inserts the next value.

The first use of this feature is the shell command guessing in dired-x.
It now puts a list of available commands to the default list (accessible
via M-n after typing `!' in the dired buffer) instead of temporarily
pushing it to the history list.

Now I propose to improve dired-x to read a list of commands from the mailcap
mechanism, and later to move this code to dired.el.  An alternative would be
to start implementing this in dired.el (provide a list of mailcap commands
available via M-n), but then after loading dired-x users will get less
useful list of commands in ! (since this is not implemented in dired-x).

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/