Re: region-active-p

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: region-active-p
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 08:09:01 +0200

Am Sonntag, 21. Oktober 2007 16:48 schrieb Miles Bader:
> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
> >> The name `region-active-p'
> >> implies that it doesn't matter whether the region is empty.
> >
> > Not necessarily.  I don't consider an empty region as being really
> > "active".
>
> And in many cases an empty-but-"active" region can be pretty confusing
> if you don't realize what's going on... (e.g., undo with an
> empty-but-"active" region used to be _extremely_ confusing, though that
> seems to have been fixed).
>
> -Miles

That's it. I correct my posting from yesterday so far.

It makes no sence to have two forms--`exist' and
`active'-- else.

So I get two new forms:

(defsubst region-exists-p ()
 "..."
 (not (null (mark))))

(defun region-active-p ()
 "..."
 (and mark-active transient-mark-mode
  (not (eq (region-beginning) (region-end)))))

Installing both makes code in both directions
compatible at that point.

Andreas Röhler